Coolant Change Quick Guide
This procedure begins on page 6-7 of the service manual.
- Sockets: 6mm, 10mm
- Combination Wrenches: 10mm
- Coolant collection pan
- Large funnel
- Suitable containers for coolant disposal
- 1 gallon of coolant (aluminum safe)
- 2 sealing washers (Honda P/N 90463-ML7-000)
- Newspaper or other expendable paper to catch splashes
Place the bike on the center stand.
Remove the fairing (See FairingRemovalQuickGuide
Cover the floor around the front of the engine with a large quantity of newspaper
Position the coolant pan under the lower radiator hose (right side at the water pump).
Loosen the hose clamp and slide it back over the hose. (6mm socket
Holding the funnel just under the hose with its spout pointing into the pan, remove the hose from the fitting and allow the coolant to drain into the pan.
- Properly positioned, the funnel will prevent some, but not all of the splashing.
Remove the radiator cap and allow the remainder of the coolant to drain.
Reconnect the lower radiator hose to the fitting and reattach the clamp.
Position the pan under the headers on the right side.
Remove the coolant drain bolt on the engine block between the headers. (10mm socket
After the coolant has drained, replace the sealing washer on the bolt and reinstall it in the engine block.
- The service manual does not specify torque for this bolt and says "tighten securely."
Repeat the previous three steps for the drain bolt on the left side.
Remove the reserve tank retaining bolt and remove the reserve tank from the frame. (10mm socket
Disconnect the hose at the bottom of the reserve tank.
Empty the reserve tank into the pan.
Clean the inside of the reserve tank
- Adding ice to the tank and shaking it up works very well.
Reinstall the reserve tank in the frame.
Fill the radiator to the top with fresh coolant.
Fill the reserve tank to the upper fill mark and install the cap.
Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature.
Snap the throttle a few times to dislodge air from the system.
Stop the engine.
If necessary, add coolant to the radiator and reserve tank to return them to the proper levels.
Install the radiator cap.
Replace the fairing (See FairingRemovalQuickGuide
- You may want to do this after the post-service checkout (see below)
Watch the areas where hoses were disconnected for leaks.