Oil Change Quick Guide
The full procedure begins on page 3-13 of the service manual for the engine oil and page 3-18 for the final drive oil.
- Socket wrench
- Torque wrench covering 12-29 N-m (9-22 lb-ft)
- Sockets: 17 mm
- Oil filter wrench
- Oil drain pan
- Oil funnel
- Engine oil
- Engine oil filter
- Engine oil drain plug sealing washer (Honda P/N 94109-14000)
- Final drive lubricant
- Final drive filler cap O-ring (Honda P/N 91302-001-020, if required)
- Paper towels
- Aluminum foil
Place bike on center stand.
Remove the right-side maintenance access cover.
Remove the right side valve cover trim.
Final Drive Oil Change
Place oil drain pan under final drive housing.
Remove the final drive filler cap.
- Remove this first. If the drain plug is removed and this cap is stuck in place, it will be impossible to refill the final drive and ride the bike for repairs.
Remove the drain plug.
Allow the final drive to drain. Spin the rear wheel gently to encourage as much of the fluid to exit as possible.
Clean the drain plug, using a toothpick to clean out the magnetic particle catcher on the end of the bolt.
Install the drain plug. 17mm, torque to 20 N-m (14 lb-ft)
Fill the final drive housing with lubricant until it reaches the bottom of the filler hole.
- Spin the rear wheel gently at mid-fill to dislodge any air bubbles.
Clean and inspect the filler cap. Replace the O-ring if necessary.
Install the filler cap. 17mm, torque to 12 N-m (9 lb-ft)
Engine Oil Change
Remove oil filler cap.
Place the oil drain pan under the drain plug.
Remove the drain plug and discard the sealing washer. 17 mm
Wait for the oil to drain.
Install a new sealing washer on the drain plug.
- The sealing washer has a rounded side and a flat side. The rounded side is installed facing the bolt head.
Install the drain plug. 17mm, torque to 29 N-m (22 lb-ft)
Remove the oil drain pan.
Place the bike on the side stand.
Place something shallow on the ground to catch a small amount of oil.
- The lid for many oil drain pans works well for this.
Cover the exhaust pipes near the oil filter with aluminum foil, leaving a small "tail" over the drain pan lid.
Remove the oil filter and drain it into the oil drain pan.
Allow the oil to drain from the oil filter mounting tube.
Clean the area where the oil filter mounts and inspect the gasket mating surface.
Lubricate the new filter's gasket with a thin film of oil.
Install the new filter and tighten per manufacturer's recommendations.
- Honda's specified torque for the filter is widely believed to be excessive. A hand-tight quarter turn beyond where the gasket makes contact with the filter mount is usually sufficient.
Pour exactly one gallon of oil into the filler hole.
Install the oil filler cap.
Install the valve cover trim.
Install the right-side maintenance access cover.
Start the bike and allow it to run for approximately ten minutes.
Check the areas around the oil filter and drain plug for leaks.
- 01 Mar 2008